Shropshire libraries hosting friendly banking advice sessions
Libraries across Shropshire are hosting expert advice sessions to help people protect themselves from fraud, manage their money and learn about digital banking options.
Teams from HSBC will be delivering free information sessions which are open to everyone at libraries in Bishop’s Castle, Church Stretton, Much Wenlock, Oswestry and Shrewsbury (main Library) this month and into March 2023. Some sessions have already been held and well received.
There will be three topics:
- Together against fraud – Covering types of frauds and scams, what to look out for and how to protect yourself online and over the phone.
- Financially fitter – Covers budgeting, credit score, savings and investing.
- Banking beyond the branch – A useful session for towns where there are no banking facilities – and anyone wanting to bank in a more modern way. It covers digital banking, telephone banking and using the post office to bank.
Rob Gittins, Shropshire Council’s Cabinet member for culture and digital, said:-
“Our vision is for library services in Shropshire to be at the heart of our communities, making connections to enhance and improve people’s lives.
“We are pleased to be able to open our libraries for sessions such as these from HSBC, that are free and open to everyone regardless of where they bank.
“A majority of transactions are carried out online these days and it is important that people feel safe and secure handling their personal banking arrangements.
“This programme has already started in our branches and has already been very well received; and I would urge people to make the most of the opportunities to learn more.”
Daniella Rudd, Local Director for HSBC, said:-
“We are so thrilled to have created this partnership with Shropshire Libraries, and are really looking forward to talking to local people to help them protect themselves against fraud, manage their money better and look at new ways of banking.
“The sessions are open to anyone, you don’t have to be an HSBC customer; so our friendly team look forward to meeting as many people as possible to chat over these important subjects.”
The sessions are booked for:
- Bishop’s Castle Library – Wednesday 8 February, and Wednesday 8 March at 10.30am
- Shrewsbury Library – Thursday 26 January at 10.30am
- Church Stretton Library – Thursday 2 February, Thursday 9 February and Thursday 16 February at 10.30am
- Oswestry Library – Friday 10 February and 24 February at 10am
- Much Wenlock Library – drop-in session on Thursday 9 March 2023 from 10am to 1pm.