Coronavirus: Shropshire COVID-19 update (8-14 January 2021)
During the 7-day period from 8-14 January 2021 in Shropshire:
- 1,364 new cases reported
- This was a decrease of 93 cases compared to the previous week
- The seven-day infection rate for Shropshire was 422.1 cases of COVID-19 per 100,000 of the population.
- For the West Midlands it was 560.6 per 100,000
- For England it was 499.1 per 100,000
- There were 25 COVID-19-related deaths in Shropshire
- 382 cases relate to people under the age of 30
- 99 cases relate to people aged 70+
- During the last week 29% of cases were in the Shrewsbury & Atcham area
- 46% were in north Shropshire
- 25% were in south Shropshire
Despite a slight decrease this week, cases in Shropshire remain worryingly high. Compared with the same week in December, Shropshire had only 293 cases – this is an increase of 359% in positive cases in a month.
Testing is available for anyone who has one of the main of COVID-19 symptoms, such as a high temperature, a new cough, or a change in sense of taste or smell.
We are also encouraging anyone to consider getting tested as a precaution if they have any of the following less common symptoms:
- Shortness of breath
- Aches and pains
- Feeling very tired for no good reason
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Sometimes ‘tummy ache’ in children.
There are a number of testing sites across Shropshire which can be booked online at www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test or by calling 119. People can use the option of “my council has asked me to book a test” if they have the other symptoms.
Rapid testing for key workers
If you are a key worker or have a job which means you cannot work from home, you can book a Rapid COVID-19 test at our sites in Shrewsbury and Craven Arms.
Rapid tests can be booked using the following link – www.shropshire.gov.uk/lfdpublictesting
This type of test is for people who are asymptomatic – please call 119 or visit www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test to book a test if you have any symptoms.
For local advice and support during the pandemic (especially if you are self-isolating or shielding), call Shropshire Council’s COVID-19 Helpline on 0345 678 9028 (lines open on the weekend on Saturday from 9am-4pm and Sunday 9am-12pm) or visit our website at www.shropshire.gov.uk/coronavirus.