Council awarded over £400,000 to improve Oswestry Greenway route
Improvements are to be made to the Greenway route in Oswestry after Shropshire Council was awarded £413,000 of UK Shared Prosperity Fund (UKSPF) funding for the scheme.
The Greenway connects the Cabin Lane and Unicorn Road residential areas to The Meadows Primary School and local recreational facilities.
The work will include lighting improvements, path widening, installation of a parallel crossing, installation of an uncontrolled crossing, and relocation of an existing lighting column to improve access.
Ian Nellins, Shropshire Council’s Cabinet member with responsibility for active travel, said:
“This project will allow Shropshire Council to meet the needs of the community by improving a key existing pedestrian and cycling link between residences and The Meadows Primary School.
“These improvements will enable and encourage more children and their parents/carers to walk and cycle to and from school; reducing the number of car trips to and from school, and improving road safety and the environment.”
The Oswestry Greenway route has been identified in the draft Shropshire Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP) as a top priority route for both Oswestry, and for Shropshire as a whole.
The funding is subject to contract and to 30% match funding from Shropshire Council.
Work is set to be completed by the end of March 2025. Shropshire Council will lead on the delivery of the project, along with consultants WSP, contractors Kier, and Oswestry Town Council.
The specific activities the project will be undertaking are:
- Lighting improvements to the existing Greenway route.
- Path widening of the existing Greenway route.
- Installation of a parallel crossing on Unicorn Road to enable safe access onto the Greenway route from the adjacent residential area.
- Installation of an uncontrolled crossing with a surface material treatment on Cabin Road to highlight the crossing plus minor kerb re-profiling to enable safe access onto the Greenway route from the adjacent residential area.
- Relocation of an existing lighting column to improve access.