Latest flooding information: UPDATE Sunday 22 October 8.15pm
Shropshire has experienced an exceptional rain episode. Although the weekend has been largely dry, flooding has occurred in some parts of the county and there are warnings in place
Shropshire Council’s highways team have implemented a traffic management plan around Shrewsbury.
Shrewsbury town centre is still open for business.
Already in place with below roads closed:
- Gravel Hill Lane
- Sydney Ave
- Coleham Head Lane Closure (Severn Trent pump deployment)
- Atcham to Cross Houses
- Chiltern Farm Lane
- Berwick Road
- Old Coleham
- Victoria Ave
- Longden Coleham into town centre
- Williams Way
- Raven Meadows
- Smithfield Rd (lane closure)
Raven Meadows multi-story car park and the Premier Inn remain open
Audiences attending Theatre Severn events, or those attending other evening events, should use Raven Meadows Multi-Storey Car Park: the maximum evening charge is £4 if entering after 6pm.
Further road closures:
- The road between Cressage and Eaton Constantine
All road closures will remain in place until morning of Monday 23 October when flood levels will be re-assessed.
Do not drive into floodwaters. Not only is it a risk to life for drivers but abandoning vehicles in floods risk blocking emergency access routes.
The Environment Agency is expecting the River Severn to peak on Sunday 22 October at the Welsh Bridge in Shrewsbury. The Welsh Bridge gauge can be seen here for live readings.
People are reminded to expect:-
- Fast flowing or deep floodwater is possible, causing a danger to life
- Homes and businesses could be flooded, causing damage to some buildings
- Some communities may be cut off by flooded roads
- Delays or cancellations to train and bus services are possible
- Spray and flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures
- Possible power cuts and loss of other services to some homes and businesses
For personal safety please avoid rivers, streams and brooks and keep pets at a safe distance too.
Frankwell and St Julians’ car parks in Shrewsbury are now closed.
Anyone with a weekly ticket purchased prior to the closure of the car park at Frankwell may go to Raven Meadows Multi-Storey Car Park to park for free.
Please do not call Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service to report flooded roads, unless there is a danger to life. Shropshire Council’s highways can be contacted on 0345 678 9006.
For train and bus travel please contact your operator for the latest updates.
The Environment Agency has the following Flood Alerts and Warnings:-
New Flood Warning:
Flood Warnings in effect:
- River Severn at Shrawardine, Montford Bridge
- River Severn at Shrewsbury
- River Severn at the Showground and the Quarry, Shrewsbury
- River Vyrnwy at Maesbrook
- River Vyrnwy at Melverley
Flood Alerts in effect:
- Lower Teme downstream of Ludlow
- Rea Brook and Cound Brook
- River Dee catchment from Whitchurch to Chester
- River Severn in Shropshire
- River Worfe
- Severn Vyrnwy Catchment
- Tern and Perry Catchments
- Upper Teme including the Onny and Corve
To stay up to date with all current flood alerts and warnings visit: https://check-for-flooding.service.gov.uk/alerts-and-warnings?q=shropshire
Recycling and waste collections
If your household waste or recycling has not been collected due to flooding, please leave your containers out and they will be collected as soon as possible. If your green bin is not emptied today, please take it back in and it will be emptied on your next collection day. Visit Recycling and rubbish | Shropshire Council
Flood support for residents and businesses
- If there is immediate risk to someone’s life or serious risk to safety due to flooding call 999
- If you are concerned about the welfare of an elderly or vulnerable person due to flooding and it is not something that could reasonably wait until normal office opening hours please call on 0345 678 9044
- For information on flood preparedness visit Be prepared for flooding | Shropshire Council
- Flooding may cause you to feel anxious, stressed or worried. Please talk to someone if you are struggling with your mental health. Shropshire MHS: 01743 368647 or email@example.com. Access: 0808 196 4501 or firstname.lastname@example.org Samaritans 116 123.
- UKHSA also offers a guide to mental wellbeing after a flood.
- For all general customer enquiries call 0345 678 9000 or email email@example.com or visit the website www.shropshire.gov.uk
- Sign up to the latest flood information and advice at : Sign up for flood warnings – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
For more updates follow Shropshire Council on: