Latest flooding information: UPDATE Friday 20 October 7.15pm
The Met Office has reissued a yellow weather warning for heavy rain affecting the West Midlands and Wales which is valid until 6am tomorrow, Saturday 21 October 2023.
Flood barriers are going up in Shrewsbury this evening. Frankwell Riverside and Frankwell Main car parks are closed. Drivers are asked to retrieve their vehicles immediately. There is no overnight parking in these car parks tonight.
Audiences attending Theatre Severn events tonight, or these attending other evening events, should use Raven Meadows Multi-Storey Car Park: the maximum evening charge is £4 if entering after 6pm.
St Julian’s Car Park will close tomorrow (Saturday 21 October).
Visitors to Shrewsbury tomorrow are asked to use Park and Ride services to avoid congestion in town due to the car park closures.
Driving conditions remain difficult and roads are liable to suffer localised flash flooding due to heavy surface water, as well as obstructions such as broken-down vehicles.
Do not drive into floodwaters. Not only is it a risk to life for drivers but abandoning vehicles in floods risk blocking emergency access routes.
The Environment Agency is expecting the River Severn to peak on Sunday 22 October at the Welsh Bridge in Shrewsbury. The Welsh Bridge gauge can be seen here for live readings.
People are reminded to expect:-
- Fast flowing or deep floodwater is possible, causing a danger to life
- Homes and businesses could be flooded, causing damage to some buildings
- Some communities may be cut off by flooded roads
- Delays or cancellations to train and bus services are possible
- Spray and flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures
- Possible power cuts and loss of other services to some homes and businesses
For personal safety please avoid rivers, streams and brooks and keep pets at a safe distance too.
Frankwell Main and Frankwell Riverside car parks in Shrewsbury are now closed.
Anyone with a weekly ticket purchased prior to the closure of the car park at Frankwell may go to Raven Meadows Multi-Storey Car Park to park for free.
If you look to leave this evening please drive very carefully towards the entry gate where a team member can release your car. No overnight parking permitted.
C2073 (old A442) Hodnet – Marchamley (at Paradise junction)
New House Farm, between Hodnet and Marchamley
Station Road, Gobowen
Underdale Road, Shrewsbury – under rail bridge part
B4386 Lowfield Marton to Red Lion, Westbury
A4117 closed from bottom of Clee Hill to the top
Ditton Mill – road closed due to land slip and tree in road
Astley Abbotts, Bridgnorth
Reported flooding at:-
A41 Grindley Brook
A49 Rockall crossroads, Wem
A49 Preston Brockhurst
B5395 Sedgeford, Whitchurch
Twmpath Lane, Gobowen, near the hospital
A53 Hodnet, near Hopton Chapel
The Mount, Shrewsbury
B4380 Eaton Constantine crossroads to Eaton Constantine village
New House Lane, Albrighton
Newport Road, Albrighton
Radbrook Road, Shrewsbury
Sundorne Road, Shrewsbury
Craig Close, Shrewsbury
The Wesley Brook, Shifnal
A49 Ludlow Bypass completely flooded
A4117 – Doddington Road
A4117 – Henley Road
Lion Lane, Cleobury Mortimer
A488 Pontesbury one way system
Bitterley School road
Please do not call Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service to report flooded roads, unless there is a danger to life. Shropshire Council’s highways can be contacted on 0345 678 9006.
For train and bus travel please contact your operator for the latest updates.
The Environment Agency has the following Flood Alerts and Warnings:-
Flood Alerts and Warnings
- Ledwyche Brook and River Rea
- Lower Teme
- Rea Brook and Cound Brook
- River Severn in Shropshire
- Severn Vyrnwy confluence
- Tern and Perry catchments
- Upper Teme
To stay up to date with all current flood alerts and warnings visit: https://check-for-flooding.service.gov.uk/alerts-and-warnings?q=shropshire
Tanat Valley have suspended the 558 bus service due to flooding on the road from Shrewsbury to Montgomery.
Recycling and waste collections
Some recycling and waste collections cannot be made today. If your household waste or recycling is not collected today, please leave your containers out and they will be collected as soon as possible. If your green bin is not emptied today, please take it back in and it will be emptied on your next collection day. Visit Recycling and rubbish | Shropshire Council
Craven Arms household recycling centre is not accessible at the moment due to flooding on Long Lane.
Leisure centre closures
Much Wenlock Leisure Centre – will be reviewed Saturday morning
SpArC, Bishop’s Castle – will be reviewed Saturday morning
Bridgnorth Library will close two hours early on Saturday 21 October
Much Wenlock Museum
Flood support for residents and businesses
- If there is immediate risk to someone’s life or serious risk to safety due to flooding call 999
- If you are concerned about the welfare of an elderly or vulnerable person due to flooding and it is not something that could reasonably wait until normal office opening hours please call on 0345 678 9044
- For information on flood preparedness visit Be prepared for flooding | Shropshire Council
- Flooding may cause you to feel anxious, stressed or worried. Please talk to someone if you are struggling with your mental health. Shropshire MHS: 01743 368647 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Access: 0808 196 4501 or email@example.com Samaritans 116 123.
- UKHSA also offers a guide to mental wellbeing after a flood.
- For all general customer enquiries call 0345 678 9000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website www.shropshire.gov.uk
- Sign up to the latest flood information and advice at Sign up for flood warnings – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
For more updates follow Shropshire Council on:
Facebook at Shropshire Council