News from our partners: What’s on for Dementia Action Week in Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin
Dementia Action Week takes place between 15 – 23 May 2023 and is an awareness raising campaign where individuals and organisations across Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin are encouraged to ‘act on dementia’.
There are a number of events taking place across the county to mark Dementia Action Week and raise awareness of dementia within the area.
Monday 15 May
- 10am to 2pm: Dementia experts at Bridgnorth Library will be talking to members of the public about dementia and handing out information.
Tuesday 16 May
- 10am to 3pm: Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin Dementia Action Alliance stall in Shrewsbury Town Square promoting Dementia Friendly Communities and signposting to support and activities for those living with dementia.
- 2pm to 4pm: Shropshire Admiral Nurses at Oswestry, Shrewsbury, Ludlow and Bridgnorth libraries. Drop-in sessions for families living with dementia. Call in for cake, a cuppa and a chat with the specialist dementia nurses.
Wednesday 17 May
- 10.30am to 12.30pm: ‘Hit the High Street’ – members of Dementia Friendly Newport with support from local organisations including Home Instead and Telford and Wrekin Local Authority are hitting the high street to promote being Dementia Friendly and devising a plan of support.
Thursday 18 May
- 10am to 1pm: Much Wenlock Library are hosting a drop-in information session for people affected by Alzheimer’s, and those who support them, to meet a representative from Alzheimer’s Society. For more information click here.
- 10am to 3pm: Dementia Support Information Day at Shrewsbury Town Football Club, SY2 6ST. For more information click here.
- 2pm: “SINGING FROM THE HEART” a short dementia-friendly church service at St Andrew’s Church, Church Street, Shifnal, TF11 8AB with a delicious tea after the service. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday 19 May
- 10.30am to 12.30pm: Members of Newport Dementia Friendly group are hosting a stall in Newport Town Square promoting Dementia Friendly Newport and signposting to support and activities for those living with dementia.
- 12pm to 4pm: Bridgnorth Library talking to members of the public about dementia and handing out information.
- 7pm: “THE DISAPPEARANCE OF ELIZA GREY” in Cockshutt Millennium Hall, Shrewsbury Road, Cockshutt SY12 0JE: Tickets are free. Booking is essential. For tickets go to https://elizagrey.eventbrite.co.uk.
If you are interested in finding out more about dementia, come along and speak with people who can help.
Find out more about local dementia services: Dementia – NHS Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin (shropshiretelfordandwrekin.nhs.uk)