16/11/2022 - Permalink

News from our partners: Community co-op in Shrewsbury to shine light on solar power

Related topics: Climate change / environment / Partner organisations

News from our partners The Big Solar Co-op

Pioneering new UK-wide community energy group, The Big Solar Co-op, will be hosting its second annual Big Solar Gathering in Shrewsbury this Saturday (19 November 2022).

The event will bring together community solar experts and volunteers to share learning and expertise to help unlock the huge potential of rooftop solar on community and commercial buildings across the UK.

Jon Hallé, co-founder, The Big Solar Co-op, said:-

“We’re looking forward to seeing lots of solar supporters in Shrewsbury on Saturday for a day of inspiration, practical learning and action. There are hundreds of thousands of potentially suitable buildings which still do not have solar PV. We’re changing that by supporting a network of volunteers who want to make more solar happen in their neighbourhood. Saving carbon and tackling climate change, one solar rooftop at a time.”

The Big Solar Gathering is at 10am to 4 pm at the Gateway Education and Arts Centre, Chester Street, Shrewsbury, SY1 1NB. It is free to attend, but people who want to come must register in advance here .

The Big Solar Co-op has been created by community renewables veterans Sharenergy, whose offices have been based in Shrewsbury for 10 years. It offers a new, nationwide model for developing community-owned rooftop solar projects designed to overcome the issues constraining some localised community energy groups.

Big Solar

Big Solar

Its first tranche of rooftop installations include a food-processing plant in Shropshire and a doctors surgery in Birmingham. A substantial pipeline of other large rooftop sites across the UK is also under development.

The Big Solar Co-op launched its inaugural share offer in the summer to fund the first installations. It has already attracted over £650,000 in investment and the share offer will close on 10 December.

The Big Solar Co-op is completely owned by the public, who either volunteer their time, invest, or both. Investor members control 25% of votes in The Big Solar Co-op, with the remaining 75% controlled by volunteer worker members.

To find out more about the Big Solar Gathering click here.