Series of events mark Learning Disability Week
Shropshire council day opportunities services have been celebrating learning disabilities week (20 to 26 June) with a host of activities.
This year’s annual campaign is about showing how people with a learning disability are reconnecting with friends and their communities.
Over the week those attending our day centres have been taking part in a wide range of activities in the community as well as raising funds for local charities.
- Abbotts Wood, Shrewsbury – the centre held a Bike and Pizza Day where everyone attending had their fair share of pizza followed by a Bike ride to help burn the calories away.
- Albert Road – The day opportunities held a Fun Day at their centre in Shrewsbury. Attendees relished in taking part in skittles, parachute games and grab a duck, enjoying cakes and refreshments as well as raising money for their comfort fund. The team had also been showcasing the fantastic work they have done with Lovely Lands and the Street Allotment Project to develop their butterfly alley – a project that has involved and enhanced the local community.
- Aquamira Day Opportunities – those attending the day centre in Shrewsbury have had a busy few weeks creating a Scarecrow for the Belle Vue Arts Festival trail. The team have also celebrating Learning Disability Week by holding an Open Morning and enjoying the sunshine with friends with cream teas.
- Avalon – the day service based in Oswestry held a coffee morning and raffle at the centre, which raised over £500 towards their comfort fund.
- Greenacres Farm – The Greenacres Team are aiming to complete 100 miles during the week either by cycling or walking, to help raise funds Midlands Air Ambulance. To date the team have raised over £110 and is still rising. You can still donate by going to their Facebook page at: (20+) Greenacres Farm | Facebook
- Helena Lane – to mark Learning Disability Week, the team at Helena Lane in Ludlow have been creatively working on a magazine for those who attend the service.
- Maesbury Metals – the day centre in Oswestry held a raffle and sales event of their products. The money raised will be used towards activities for those who attend.
- Wayfarers – The day opportunities in Market Drayton, also enjoyed a coffee morning of cakes and refreshments and a host of activities to mark Learning Disability Week.
Councillor Simon Jones, Cabinet Member for adult social care and public health said.
“It’s fantastic to see so many activities taking place to celebrate Learning Disability Week 2022.
“This year’s campaign theme is about sharing stories, making connections and reconnecting with friends and communities. We have seen that this week. Everyone who attends our day opportunities thoroughly enjoyed taking part in all the activities and have really got involved in their community, and we can see the value that brings to everyone involved.”
A full list of events celebrating Learning Disability Week 2022, can be found here: Day opportunities/events | Shropshire Council
To find out more about our Day Opportunities Services visit: Day centres | Shropshire Council
To find out more about Learning Disability Week visit: Learning Disability Week 2022 | Mencap