Coronavirus: COVID-19 cases recorded in Shropshire among staff from Welsh factory outbreak
Shropshire Council is working closely with public health colleagues in Gwynedd following cases of COVID-19 at cake maker Cake Crew’s base in Bala.
A number of the staff at the factory live in Shropshire.
To date, 18 positive COVID-19 cases have been recorded in the Oswestry and Ellesmere areas linked to this outbreak, either as staff or household contacts.
Rachel Robinson, Shropshire Council’s director of public health, said:-
“We have been made aware of 18 positive cases of COVID-19 in Shropshire linked to the outbreak at Cake Crew in Bala.
“We are working closely with health officials in Wales and with our local communities to help limit any further potential spread. All positive cases are self-isolating for at least 10 days, with contacts isolating for 10 days, as per national guidance.
“This underlines the importance of everyone taking regular Lateral Flow Tests twice a week, particularly to help identify anyone who has the virus but does not have symptoms.”
Lateral flow home test kits (LFTs) are available for anyone to collect from many locations across the county, including:-
The Victoria Centre, Victoria Road, Oswestry SY11 2HT (go here to be get an LFT, collect LFTs, or both)
- Mondays to Fridays 8am–5pm
Oswestry Library, Arthur Street, Oswestry SY11 1JN
- Mondays to Fridays 10am-midday, and 1pm–4pm
- Saturdays 10am–1pm
Oswestry Qube, Oswald Road, Oswestry, SY11 1RB
- Mondays to Fridays 9am-5pm
Oswestry Leisure Centre, Shrewsbury Road, Oswestry, SY11 4QB
- Mondays to Thursdays 6.30am-10pm
- Fridays 6.30am-9pm
- Saturdays and Sundays 8am-5pm
Ellesmere Pharmacy, Scotland Street, Ellesmere, SY12 0ED
- Mondays to Fridays 9am-6pm
- Saturdays 9am to 5pm
How to get/book a COVID-19 Lateral Flow Test is included on gov.uk here: https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test#getting-a-rapid-lateral-flow-test-if-you-have-no-symptoms
Regular testing for people without symptoms is an important tool, alongside ‘hands, face, space, vaccinations and fresh air’, in allowing us to move safely forward as we ease out of the third Lockdown.
People can take a test or collect their LFT home test kits at many locations across Shropshire, including libraries, sport centres and pharmacies. If you’re unable to collect a kit in person, you can order them for home delivery.
To find out more visit https://www.shropshire.gov.uk/coronavirus/rapid-testing-in-shropshire/.
We’re also encouraging anyone who collects a home testing kit to complete a test on site to gain an understanding of what they need to do.
Step Up and help us stop the spread of coronavirus:
- Work from home if you can
- Limit contact with other people
- Keep your distance from people not in your household bubble (at least 2 metres apart where possible)
- Stick to a maximum group of 6 people when meeting outdoors
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Do not leave home if you or anyone in your household has symptoms
- Wear a face covering in any enclosed public places and public transport, along with any indoor settings where social distancing may be difficult and where you will meet people you do not normally meet.
- If you have any symptoms, please book a test and do not leave home until you have either a negative result, or you have isolated for at least 10 days if you do not take a test – you may continue to isolate longer than 10 days if you continue to experience high temperature.
- People living in households with a positive case should self-isolate for 10 days.
- Any contacts of a positive case must self-isolate for 10 days – even if they are asked to get a test and the result is negative, they must complete the 10 days of isolation. Click here for the latest self-isolation guidance.
- You can book a test by calling 119 or click here
For local advice and support during the pandemic (especially if you are self-isolating), call Shropshire Council’s COVID-19 Helpline on 0345 678 9028 (lines are open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm, and Saturdays from 9am-1pm (excluding bank holidays) or visit our website at www.shropshire.gov.uk/coronavirus.