Coronavirus: Zoom drop-in offers support for young people, parents and carers
Young people in Shropshire worried about their GCSE result are being encouraged to access support and advice at a series of virtual-drop in sessions.
The council and its partner organisations are hosting a virtual drop in via Zoom, on Saturday 22 August (1pm-2pm). Parents and carers are also invited to join the session.
Evidence has shown the huge impact that coronavirus and lockdown measures have had on young people in the UK. A recent study carried out by the charity Young Minds involving over 2,000 young people revealed:
- 80% of young people agreed that the coronavirus pandemic had made their mental health worse
- 87% of young people agreed that they had felt lonely or isolated during the lockdown period, even though 71% had been able to stay in touch with friends
- Among more than 1,000 respondents who were accessing mental health support in the three months leading up the crisis, 31% said they were no longer able to access support but still needed it
- Of those who had not been accessing support immediately before the crisis, 40% said that they had not looked for support but were struggling with their mental health
- 11% of respondents said that their mental health had improved during the crisis.
Ed Potter, Shropshire Council’s Cabinet member for children’s services said:
“We recognise that the past few months have affected thousands of children and young people across the county. The disruption caused by the premature end to the academic year has contributed to further anxiety, especially for those who are waiting for their results.
“In Shropshire there is help available, in terms of mental health support, Early Help advice, Family Information Service and Post-16 guidance.
“We want to reassure both young people and parents that you are not alone – help is available. These online drop-in sessions will provide young people with a safe and confidential space where they can chat openly about how they are feeling.”
For a full list of support services available to young people in Shropshire, click here
Accessing the virtual drop-in sessions
Two virtual drop-in session is being held via Zoom on and Saturday 22 August (1pm-2pm).
These sessions are open to all young people across Shropshire, as well as their parents and carers., to discuss how they are feeling in a safe and confidential space.
The Zoom sessions can be accessed via the following link
Meeting number: 852 8195 7344
Stay updated with the latest news about coronavirus and Shropshire Council services by signing up to our email bulletins