Coronavirus: Self-isolation period increased from 7 to 10 days
People who develop coronavirus symptoms, or test positive, will now be asked to self-isolate for a minimum of 10 days.
The latest advice from the UK Chief Medical Officers means the period of isolation has been extended by three days from the previous minimum of 7 days. The new advice is in line with World Health Organisation guidance.
People must self-isolate if they have any of the following symptoms:
- A high temperature
- A new, continuous cough
- A loss of, or change to, your sense of smell or taste
Dean Carroll, Shropshire Council’s Cabinet member for adult social care, public health and climate change, said:
“We all have our part to play in helping to stop the spread of this virus. That’s why it’s so important that people in Shropshire follow the latest Government guidance.
““This is about protecting yourself, your family, and the wider community – and avoiding a second peak and further lockdown restrictions.
““We ask Shropshire residents to continue to follow the national advice to protect themselves and others from the virus.
“Good hand hygiene remains the best protection against the virus, including washing your hands more regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, wearing a face covering when using public transport or going to the shops and supermarkets, and covering your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.”
We can all help control the virus if we all stay alert. This means you must:
- stay at home as much as possible
- work from home if you can
- limit contact with other people
- keep your distance from people not in your household (2 metres apart where possible)
- wash your hands regularly
- do not leave home if you or anyone in your household has symptoms.
- wear face coverings on public transport and when going to the shops and supermarkets and in other close settings where possible.
Read more about what you can and cannot do here.
Stay updated with the latest news about coronavirus and Shropshire Council services by signing up to our email bulletins