20/03/2020 - Permalink

Help for residents worried about financial impact of coronavirus

Related topics: Coronavirus / Corporate / Finance and budget

Shropshire Council is reminding residents worried about the impact of coronavirus that support may be available to them to help with Council Tax payments and payment of their rent.

Any residents whose employment situation or income has been adversely impacted by  coronavirus should visit the council’s benefits webpages for more information – where you can also access an online application form.

Working age claimants may need to apply to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) for Universal Credit, but may still be able to apply for Council Tax support to help with Council Tax payments. For more information on Universal Credit please go to www.gov.uk/universal-credit.

For more information people can email benefits@shropshire.gov.uk.

Shropshire Council can also provide an additional Discretionary Housing Payment where a claimant has a shortfall between their rent and housing benefit (or the housing element of their Universal Credit award). Contact DHP@shropshire.gov.uk for details

Anyone struggling with their Council Tax payments should contact the council’s revenues and benefits teams on 0345 678 9002 and a member of staff will be happy to help.

Shropshire Council is following government guidelines in relation to the coronavirus pandemic. This is a national issue and we need clarification from the Government on how they intend to support all residents generally going forward.

Any future support for residents may include specific measures in relation to Council Tax and we can assure residents that once we are made aware of any future support then we will act quickly to implement it. The position is changing almost daily.

For more information go to shropshire.gov.uk/coronavirus.