Coronavirus: school and childcare advice for parents and guardians
Shropshire Council is providing the following advice to parents and guardians following the announcement that schools are to close from today due to coronavirus.
- Schools will be open for children of critical (key) workers where at least one parent/carer is a critical (key) worker.
- School provision will be available for vulnerable children including those supported by social care, those with safeguarding and welfare needs, those with child in need plans, on child protection plans, ‘looked after’ children, young carers, disabled children and those with Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCPs).
- Free school meals will be available for those pupils currently eligible for benefits-related free school meals – contact your school for details on arrangements at your school.
- As far as possible, transport arrangements will be available on Monday 23 March, but will be subject to change as the new arrangements settle down.
- Some schools may need to close, in which case alternative places will be found in such circumstances.
- Parents should not rely for childcare upon those who are advised to be in the stringent social distancing category such as grandparents, friends, or family members with underlying conditions.
- Parents should also do everything they can to ensure children are not mixing socially in a way which can continue to spread the virus. They should observe the same social distancing principles as adults.
For the government’s guidance for schools, childcare providers, colleges and local authorities in England on maintaining educational provision, please click here.