Shrewsbury flooding update – Monday 24 February, 6am
A severe flood warning is in place for Shrewsbury.
Despite the floods, Shrewsbury will be open for business today. As many roads and car parks are closed we advise against travelling into the town centre by car – bus, park and ride, walking or cycling are the best options.
The following car parks are closed:
- Frankwell main and riverside
- St Julian’s
- Raven Meadows multi-storey
- The Gap, NCP and Premier Inn Car Parks will not be accessible.
From Monday morning bus services will drop off at temporary stops at Abbey Foregate, Theatre Severn and New Park Road (Castlefields), rather than the bus station.
The following roads are closed:
• Victoria Avenue
• Old Coleham
• Gravel Hill Lane
• Sydney Avenue
• Atcham to Cross Houses
• Children Farm Lane
• Berwick Road
• Longden Coleham
• Raven Meadows
• Cressage to Eaton Constantine
• All of Smithfield Road – both directions
• Coton Hill
• Chester Street and Cross Street
• Atcham to Berwick Wharf
• B4380 Shrewsbury to Atcham.
Coleham Head is closed to enable the Environment Agency and Severn Trent to put the flood defences and necessary procedures in place.
Due to the number of weather-related road closures in Shrewsbury, London Road will remain OPEN as normal until further notice. The temporary closure, for BT cable work, was due to be put back in place today (Monday) having been lifted last week.
Schools, colleges and University Centre Shrewsbury
- Shrewsbury High School – closed for today
- Shrewsbury Colleges Group – Welsh and English bridge campuses are closed
- UCS – have advised staff and students that Guildhall will be open for business.
- St Winifred’s – Monday 24 February is a PD day therefore staff only.
Please follow Shropshire Council on Facebook or twitter for the latest information.