Shrewsbury flooding update – Monday 24 February – 12 noon
A severe flood warning is in place for Shrewsbury.
Despite the floods, Shrewsbury will be open for business today. As many roads and car parks are closed we advise against travelling into the town centre by car – bus, park and ride, walking or cycling are the best options. You can also travel to and from Shrewsbury by train.
The following car parks are closed:
Frankwell – main and riverside
St Julian’s Friars
Raven Meadows multi-storey
The Gap (off Raven Meadows)
NCP (Wyle Cop)
Premier Inn car park (off Raven Meadows)
From Monday morning bus services will drop off at temporary stops at Abbey Foregate coach park, Theatre Severn and New Park Road (Castle Foregate end), rather than the bus station.
Bus services will operate as follows:
- Theatre Severn – Services 11, 20. 70, 70A, 552/553, 558, Oxon P&R,
- Abbey Foregate HGV/Coach Park – Services 1, 8, 19, 21 23, 26, 27, 435, 436, 544/546, X4, X5 & Meole Brace P&R,
- New Park Road (Castle Foregate End) – Services 2, 24, 25, 64, 501, 511, 519, 576, Harlescott P&R
The following roads are closed:
- Victoria Avenue
- Old Coleham
- Gravel Hill Lane
- Sydney Avenue
- Atcham to Cross Houses
- Chiltern Farm Lane
- Berwick Road
- Longden Coleham
- Raven Meadows
- Cressage to Eaton Constantine
- Smithfield Road – both directions
- Coton Hill
- Chester Street and Cross Street
- Atcham to Berwick Wharf
- B4380 Emstrey Island to Atcham
- Williams Way
- Coleham Head
Priory Road remains closed due to roof damage at the Quarry Swimming Centre.
Town Walls is closed while Cadent investigate and repair a gas leak. Barring any unforeseen circumstances they currently anticipate the works will be complete by Wednesday.
Due to the number of weather-related road closures in Shrewsbury, London Road will remain OPEN as normal until further notice. The temporary closure, for BT cable work, was due to be put back in place today (Monday) having been lifted last week.
Schools, colleges and University Centre Shrewsbury
- Shrewsbury High School – closed for today
- Shrewsbury Colleges Group – Welsh and English bridge campuses are closed
- UCS – will close at 4pm today and reopen on Thursday.
- St Winifred’s – Monday 24 February is a PD day. Will be closed on Tuesday.
- Coleham Primary School – will be closed tomorrow (Tuesday)
Please follow Shropshire Council on Facebook or twitter for the latest information.