Flooding update – Thursday 27 February – 9am
Please see below important information about roads, car parks, buses and other services affected by this week’s flooding.
CAR PARKS – the following car parks are closed:
- Frankwell – main and riverside
- St Julian’s Friars
- Raven Meadows multi-storey
- The Gap (off Raven Meadows)
- NCP (Wyle Cop)
- Premier Inn car park (off Raven Meadows).
- Abbey Foregate. The top section and part of the lower section are OPEN. There’s no parking in the coned-off section as this forms part of the temporary flood bus terminus
Resident and season ticket holders for Frankwell Main and St Julian’s Friars car parks may park in Abbey Foregate car park until further notice.
- Riverside car park
- Riverside West elevated car park
Residents or customers in Bridgnorth with a valid resident or season permit (on or off-street) can use Innage Lane Car Park.
Shrewsbury bus station is closed and services are terminating at temporary stops at Abbey Foregate coach park, Theatre Severn and New Park Road (Castle Foregate end), rather than the bus station.
Bus services will terminate as follows:
- Theatre Severn – Services 11, 20. 70, 70A, 552/553, 558, Oxon P&R,
- Abbey Foregate HGV/Coach Park – Services 1, 8, 19, 21 23, 26, 27, 435, 436, 544/546, X4, X5 & Meole Brace P&R.
- New Park Road (Castle Foregate End) – Services 2, 24, 25, 64, 501, 511, 519, 576, Harlescott P&R
- All school transport routes operating in out of the town are experiencing significant delays.
- School transport in the Melverley area is severely disrupted.
- 113/114 Telford to Bridgnorth service is not operating between Sutton Maddock and the Bandon Island, due to the A442 road closure. A diversionary route is being followed.
- Service 8 (Bridgnorth to Telford) will not be able to serve Ironbridge or Jackfield from Madeley and will have to divert through Much Wenlock to access Broseley to Bridgnorth.
Other services affected
- Service 19 – Shrewsbury to Telford – is operating via the M54.
- Service 18 – Telford to Much Wenlock via Ironbridge- is following a diversionary route
Theatre Severn / Oxon park and ride
The Park & Ride from Oxon (SY3 5AD) has been extended for Theatre Severn and Old Market Hall ticketholders until further notice. This free service will run from 6pm to and from Theatre Severn to accommodate the start and end times of performances. Please arrive as early as possible and show the driver your ticket or ticket receipt for travel. Where necessary, performance start times may be delayed for latecomers.
- Victoria Avenue
- Old Coleham
- Gravel Hill Lane
- Sydney Avenue
- Atcham to Cross Houses
- Chiltern Farm Lane
- Berwick Road
- Longden Coleham
- Raven Meadows
- Cressage to Eaton Constantine
- Smithfield Road – both directions
- Coton Hill
- Chester Street and Cross Street
- Atcham to Berwick Wharf
- B4380 Emstrey Island to Atcham
- Williams Way
- Meadow Place
- Coleham Head
- Welsh Bridge*
- Underdale Road
*except for access for buses to Theatre Severn temporary bus terminus, and residents/businesses on the Frankwell side of Welsh Bridge
Priory Road remains closed due to roof damage at the Quarry Swimming Centre.
Town Walls is closed while Cadent investigate and repair a gas leak. The road is now due to reopen on Saturday.
London Road will remain OPEN as normal until further notice. The temporary closure, for BT cable work, was due to be put back in place this week having been lifted last week.
North Shropshire road closures
- Colliery Road, St Martins
- Clarke’s Lane, St Martins
- Burma Road, Park Hall, Whittington
South Shropshire road closures
- B4368 Clun to Newcastle (road slip)
- Doctors Lane, Bridgnorth
- Riverside, Bridgnorth
- Severnside South Bridgnorth
- The A442 is closed between Sutton Maddock and Bandon Island
Coalport Bridge – We’ve inspected the bridge and it’s currently safe to use. We’ve installed traffic management on the bridge with a 3-tonne weight limit as a precautionary measure so that we can keep it open. We’ll continue to make daily inspections whilst we wait for water levels to reduce sufficiently to carry out a more detailed survey.
- Shrewsbury shopping centres – The Darwin Centre will re-open today (Thursday). The Pride Hill and Riverside Centres will remain closed due to the flood water and the clean-up operation required.
- Shrewsbury railway station. Now fully open.
- The Gateway in Shrewsbury will remain closed until Monday.
- Shrewsbury Colleges Group – Welsh and English bridge campuses are closed.
- University Centre Shrewsbury – is now closed until next Monday.
For other school closures, please see www.shropshire.gov.uk/school-closures/
Please follow Shropshire Council on Facebook or twitter for the latest information.
For help and advice please call Shropshire Council on 0345 678 9006 or visit our website.