Celebrating national Carers Week: 6-11 June 2016
News from our partners Carers Trust4all
For Carers Week, which runs from Monday 6 June 2016 to Saturday 11 June 2016, Carers Trust 4all are celebrating with a number of events throughout the county.
Over 34,000 people in Shropshire are caring for someone, who could not manage without their help and support because of a disability, illness or mental health problem. This hidden, unpaid army, saves local health and social care services millions of pounds each year.
Research by Carers UK shows that this amounts to an average of £19,336 per carer. For some, taking on a caring role can be sudden: someone in your family has an accident or your child is born with a disability. For others, caring creeps up unnoticed: your parents can’t manage on their own any longer or your partner’s health gradually worsens.
The amount and type of support that carers provide varies considerably. It can range from a few hours a week, such as picking up prescriptions and preparing meals, to providing care day and night. Caring is likely to touch every one of us at some point, whether we become a carer or need care ourselves. Whilst caring can be a rewarding experience, it can also present challenges in terms health, finances and relationships.
Carers Trust 4all has been supporting carers for over 25 years and in Shropshire and can provide practical help and advice to carers of all ages through the Carers Support Service, Emergency Response Service and Young Carers Service. These services are funded by Shropshire Council and calls from carers are always welcome (no assessment required).
Helen Esslemont from Carers Trust4all said:
“Some carers don’t consider themselves as ‘carers’ – they are simply looking after a loved one. But they still may benefit from some help and support. Carers Week is a chance to recognise and celebrate the contribution that all carers make to family and community life.”
Carers Trust4all, together with statutory & voluntary organisations and local community groups in Shropshire, are working to build carer-friendly communities across the county – places where local people and services understand a carer’s daily reality and do what they can to make life a little bit easier for them.
Carers and colleagues are invited to an Open Day on Wednesday 8 June 2016, 10am-1pm at their Sutton Farm, Shrewsbury premises (address below). A team of carer advisers will be on hand (as well as home-made cake and a cuppa), so you can find out about carers services in Shropshire.
Other events around the county as follows:
- Tenbury Wells Tuesday 7 June 10am – 2 pm In conjunction with Worcester Carers Service and Information Event at The Pump Room
- Cleobury Mortimer Tuesday 7 June 3-5 pm Garden Party at 2 Tenbury Road, Cleobury Mortimer
- Market Drayton Wednesday 8 June Carers Lunch at The Boars Head (£10 pp)
- Bishop’s Castle Wednesday 8 June 2-4pm Afternoon tea at The Boars Head (£6pp)
- Shrewsbury Thursday 9 June 10.30am – 12.30pm Pamper sessions offering carers a gentle hand , arm or shoulder massage provided by the Red Cross
- Shrewsbury Thursday 9 June 1-3pm Arts workshop led professional artists from Ignition Arts- fun and relaxing session – all welcome, no experience needed
- Hodnet Saturday 11 June The Queen’s 90th Birthday Picnic – games , stalls, attractions and food – fun for everyone, 2-5pm Hodnet Recreation Ground
- Albrighton Tuesday 14 June 11.30am-2.30 pm Garden Centre Lunch to which carers and their cared for are welcome (lunch costs apply).
Carers Trust4all, Shropshire Carers Service, Unit 12 Tilstock Crescent, Sutton Farm Shopping Centre, Shrewsbury SY2 6HW Tel 01743 341995.