Election day almost here
Shropshire residents will be going to the polls this week to vote for their local council representatives.
The elections take place on Thursday 2 May 2013, with polls open from 7am to 10pm, and people are being urged to make sure they use their vote.
A list of who is standing for election is available here.
If you live in a Shropshire Council division which has more than one seat, then you will have a vote for each seat available. For instance, if your division is currently represented by two councillors, you will have two votes.
Polling station staff will be able to help if you have any queries.
The Shropshire Council divisions with more than one member are as follows:
- Bayston Hill, Column and Sutton (three members)
- Bridgnorth East and Astley Abbotts (two members)
- Bridgnorth West and Tasley (two members)
- Church Stretton and Craven Arms (two members)
- Cleobury Mortimer (two members)
- Market Drayton West (two members)
- Oswestry East (two members)
- Gobowen, Selattyn and Weston Rhyn (two members)
- Wem (two members)
- Whitchurch North (two members)
Votes will be counted on Friday 3 May 2013, starting at 10am, and results will be posted live on the Shropshire Council website as they come through during the day.
Parish and town council election votes will be counted on Saturday 4 May 2013, also starting at 10am, with results being published on Shropshire Council as they come in.
Returning officer, Claire Porter, said:
“We would urge everyone to get out and vote on Thursday, if you haven’t already returned a postal vote, and have a say on who represents you on your local council.”