Have your say on Oswestry parish boundaries
Shropshire Council is carrying out a Community Governance Review for Oswestry and people living in the town and the surrounding parishes are being asked for their views on changes to the electoral arrangements for the area.
The review will consider:
- The number of members of Oswestry Town Council
- The division of the parish into wards
- The number of members per ward
- Whether there should be any minor changes to the boundaries of the town with adjoining parishes, in particular around the Trefonen Road and Broomhall Close area.
- Whether there should be any changes to the parish boundaries with Oswestry Town and the parishes of Selattyn and Gobowen, Whittington and Oswestry Rural.
A cross-party working party will oversee the review and it will consider all representations received from town and parish councils, local electors and other local organisations from within the district. From these it will put forward proposals for changes which will then take effect at the next Local Government elections in 2013.
The chairman of the working party, Shropshire Councillor David Lloyd, said:
“It’s important when considering changes to ward boundaries to ensure that there are a similar number of electors to councillors in each ward and that community identity is also retained. This is an opportunity for the people of Oswestry and the surrounding parishes to have a say and I would urge them to send us their views.”
Anyone wishing to comment on the proposals can do so until 15 September 2011 by writing to Democratic Services, Shropshire Council, Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury SY2 6ND or emailing email@example.com
For further information, contact either Adrian Dean on 01743 252893 or Richard Thomas on 01743 252725.
Copies of the terms of reference for the review and the maps can be viewed at Shropshire Council’s offices at Castle View, Oswestry, Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury or at the Offices of Oswestry Town Council at The Guildhall, Oswestry. They can also be viewed by clicking this link.